Friday, May 2, 2008

I wonder about people. I really do. I don't ever watch TV news, I get my news from NPR, for the most part. And I like their news; it seems like they cover the world better. Which I like; I like to think I'm at least a little bit informed about what's happening on our planet.

But lately, I don't know if I want to listen to what's happening here on earth. How far can we sink? In Chicago a few weekends ago, there were 32 shootings and 6 fatalities. In one weekend. An anomaly? Spring fever?

Then I hear about the man in Austria who kept his daughter imprisoned in the basement for 24 years (starting when she would have been about 18) and had children by her, one of whom died, three of whom had literally never seen the light of day. The wife, meanwhile, was living in the very same house, and had no idea her daughter was being kept in the basement.

As I googled this case, another case of a woman being held for 30 years came up. What is wrong with the human race?

No comments: