Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Was I ever really that small?

Today as I was picking up, I folded a couple of paper bags from the grocery store and a memory picture popped into my brain. I remember playing with paper bags, making clothing out of them by cutting neck holes in the bottom, arm holes in the side, a long cut down the front, and fringe along the bottom. Color with crayons and presto! A very cool vest type thingie. (hip, me? oh, yeah!)

As I looked at the paper bag, holding it upside-down to get the image of the temporary play clothes we used to construct, I was struck by how small it was. Was I really ever able to fit my torso inside a grocery bag!?

What would my grandson say if I took away his transformers and spiderman action figures, and replaced them with crayons, a grocery bag, and a pair of scissors? Are there kids anywhere that still think it's fun to play with such homemade toys? *sigh* Ah, the wonders of the unjaded imagination!

I wanted to illustrate this entry with a photo of a paper bag vest, and found photo evidence that yes, kids still are doing this (although the level of enjoyment in this kid's face is questionable-btw, this is some random kid; I just found him through the miracle that is google). Apparently someone thinks the craft is difficult enough to have created illustrated directions, too. Although they should have mentioned how difficult it is to get realistic fringe that's narrow enough.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, since I have cancelled my newspaper and no longer need paper bags for recycling...I think I'll pull out the scissors and markers and stamps, and let Taters go hog wild :)

Love the blog - never knew you were such a writer. Oh, btw, I figured out how to find you after all.

Patty