Monday, January 21, 2008

Coming close, home again

Yesterday I had just left a friend's house when I realized I had a flat tire. Not ideal in any weather, but especially bad when the temp was barely in the positive range. Thankfully, I was able to limp to a gas station and call for help. (It was not a service station, mind you. The man could sell me candy and coffee, but anything to deal with the car - I was on my own!) After the spare tire was put on, I set out to drive the 15 miles home. I hate it when some moron is driving 45 on the expressway with their flashers on. Well, I was that moron yesterday. I finally got off the expressway and started getting closer and closer to home. With each successive street sign, a little tension peeled off my shoulders. By the time I made it to the tire store a couple blocks from my house, my good mood had returned, and I was able to breathe normally again.

This morning in church we sang a song called "I Fall Before You Now," which talks about surrendering to God, worshiping him, not being able to resist his love and his beauty. The chorus says, "I'm coming now, coming in, coming close, home again." I was reminded how song really does capture the feel of coming close, and coming home again.

Those feelings I had yesterday as I got closer and closer to home: relief, safety, security, warmth, love, it's all there.

No comments: