Monday, January 21, 2008

Family Jokes

What can I say, I come from a weird family. In a good way. My memories of family life include lots of laughter. A family story involves my sister and I both making up jokes at supper, I think one after the other. Best guess, we were maybe 4 and 5.

Karen's joke:
Q. What did one pancake say to the other pancake? (my dad would often make us Bisquick pancakes for supper)
A. I love you pancake; I love you back. (hilarious, right?)

My joke:
Q. What did one ant say to the other ant when he couldn't find the milk? (supper that night included milk to go with the pancakes, evidently)
A. Hey, where's the milk?

Okay, at least in my joke, it was easy to tell who was saying what.

Another way my family joked was to play with words. This was mostly Dad's thing - he always loved playing with language. He used to point out the oddities of English pronunciation, citing examples like rough, cough, through, bough, though.

We played with our names, learning how to say them backwards. Dad's Alzheimer's is very advanced now - he can't really identify people anymore. But a few months ago when my brother was visiting him and asked him what his own name was, Dad's eyes twinkled and he said, Nilknarf Grebgah, which is his name spelled backwards. :-)

Nice to know that humor survives.

No comments: