Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sankofa Processing #4

So, Sankofa stills keeps coming to mind almost every day.

A couple of days ago, I was going to blog about how the upstairs neighbors' daughter plays the same song over and over again; that it's not loud, just annoying, and compare it to some old upstairs neighbors who must have had a Mr. Microphone. At this point, being the eager blogger that I am, I wanted to link in a reference to Mr. Microphone. Lo and behold, there's an old ad for it on YouTube!

The only thing is, I was so horrified when I watched it, I couldn't post the blog after all. At one point there's an African American man dancing down the street waving his radio around, singing on his Mr. Microphone. *shudder* Watch this ad at your own risk of being offended.

Granted, the white guy who hollers out of the car ("Hey, good lookin'! We'll be back to pick you up later!") makes me shudder, too, but not in a offensive-race-stereotype kind of way (more like a you're-such-an-incredible-dweeb kind of way).

At least this has the excuse of being about 25 years old, and thankfully isn't being aired anymore. Kind of reminds me of the old I Love Lucy shows, where she calls Ricky "sir", or he actually spanks her. They thought that kind of offensive 'humor' was funny, too, rather than simply misogynistic.