Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ethical Obligations

Here's a question: if you hear what sounds like a fight through your neighbors' open windows, are you required ethically / morally to do anything about it?

Tonight I heard what sounded like a very intoxicated female neighbor yelling at whoever she shares a home with - husband? child? roommate? If I'm correct, it's a woman I know only by reputation, not even what she looks like. But the gossip on the block is that she's been picked up on occasion being drunk and disorderly, beating up on her husband.

What I heard tonight wasn't anything to report (just yelling), but what if I were to hear someone actually beating on their spouse?

A few years ago, I gradually became aware of some odd noises coming in my open window. Five or six neighbors were gathered in the alley behind my house. I joined them, and found out they were all there because they had heard what sounded like a guy beating on his wife. He was yelling, she was screaming. I think one of them had called the police. One or two of them had shouted up to him to stop it. I think he may have shouted down some choice words at them. We were out there for some time. If the police had been called, they must have taken their sweet time getting there, because I think I left before they ever came by.

So what is our responsibility to our neighbors, our fellow humans? It's nice to know that my neighbors at least pay attention to what's going on in our streets.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I think that people are completely obligated to stand up for and get help to someone who is being abused. I don't think that there are many exceptions at all. Right?

Swedish Colombian said...

I think that's generally the case... I think there may be some cases where we need to make sure we really understand the situation before taking action. But putting those beliefs into action is a whole other story!