Thursday, February 21, 2008

Stargazing

When I took Lucy out for her walk tonight, I was struck by the beauty of the clear night sky. The Big Dipper was immediately visible as I looked up, quite the rarity in the city.


Sometimes I wish I could go out and stargaze every night, in a place where the night sky was unpolluted by city lights. Here's a picture of the constellations in the winter sky. Hmm... not quite what I see when I look up at the sky in winter. If I'm lucky, I can count maybe 20 sky objects on a clear night.



Tonight there's supposed to be a red moon due to a lunar eclipse.
Historically, they say Colombus fooled the Native Americans into giving food to him and his men by telling them the gods would make the moon turn red in anger if they didn't... of course he had an almanac on his side. Cheating Spanish bastard...

But I just can't see dragging myself out at 3:30 on a frigid winter night to look at the moon - even on a beautiful clear night like we're having here. *sigh* I'll just google images tomorrow and see if anyone captured it and wish I would have taken the picture myself.

No comments: