Sunday, December 14, 2008

Is there such a thing as too much time spent online??

Okay, I realize that I am not an active person (coughunderstatementcough). That part I get: sitting all the time means that you're not getting enough exercise, no matter why you're sitting. You could be reading, writing, crafting, solving world peace, or stalking connecting with people on Facebook.

But really, I love connecting with people! And I think it's a really cool thing that these friends whom I haven't seen or had real contact in decades, I can communicate with them, let them know they're in my thoughts, know a little bit about their lives, their families, their sorrows, their joys.

(And send them oh-so-thoughtful-and-free cyber gifts from time to time, like an egg that hatches into a little puppy, f'rinstance.)

Oh the joy I feel when the little notification turns out to be a friend request - especially from someone who really is an old friend, not just some passing acquaintance through work or some other network.

"Will you be my friend?"
"You want me to be your
friend?? Yes! Yes! Of course we are friends!!"

But if you talk about Facebook, people think that's the only thing you're doing, regardless if half your online time is spent doing all your shopping, correspondence, flickring and blogging.

I've been told (by good friends, actually) that I really need to get a life.

Hmmm. While that might be a valid observation, even if a cruelly delivered one, I still maintain that spending time virtually connecting with people is valuable, particularly when it's not possible to connect with them in person.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Agreed. People in the past might have thought that writing letters or talking on the phone wasn't really connecting cause you weren't there in person. Forms of communication change and are therefore valid in different times. I don't think that those of us who are often online are under the impression that we are connecting with people in the same exact way as actually being with them, but I think others are wrong to assume that interaction with people online is necessarily meaningless and somehow anti-social. Where am I wrong?

Swedish Colombian said...

I think we totally see eye-to-eye. The way I look at it, there are real people at the other end of the vastness of cyberspace, commenting back (like you and I do on each other's blogs, for instance). In the case of many of my Facebook friends, these are people that I otherwise would have absolutely no contact. And I'm really glad I do have contact with them!