Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Sad Life

Now and then I feel a bit sorry for myself... my life is not the most thrilling one on the planet, and I do have my share of problems; not everything is always copacetic. But I'm also realistic enough to realize how much I've been blessed. Especially when I see a movie like the one I just finished watching, La Vie en Rose, about the life of Edith Piaf. How one person can survive such a hard life is beyond me: her parents deserted her; she was raised in a brothel; numerous important people in her life died suddenly, violently and tragically.

It was probably just over a year ago that I really became aware of who she was, and began familiarizing myself with her music. Thankfully, they used recordings of her voice for the film - it is so distinctive, they couldn't have gotten away with anything else.

I love her songs, "Hymne à l'amour" and "Non, je ne regrette rien". Both are so passionately sung that one doesn't need to know French at all to appreciate them. Here's a bit of film of her singing probably her most well known song, and the title song of the movie, La Vie en Rose.

No comments: